10 Best Keyword Research Tools For 2017
Keyword research is the foundation of SEO.
Kristi Hines said it best:
You can’t do anything until you have your target keywords set, and link building is useless if you haven’t optimized your pages for the keywords you’re trying to rank for.
While it’s possible to manually gather data from search engines alone to create a keyword research campaign, it can be very time consuming, not to mention that much harder to find the best untapped gems.
The good news is there are a bunch of tools out there to give you the boost. Below, I’d like to share with you 10 best keyword research tools for 2017.
Top 10 best keyword research tools for 2017
|Tool Name||Cost Per Month|
|LongTailPro (Editor’s Choice)|
|Jaaxy (Editor’s Choice)|
$124.75 one time
|Google Keyword Planner|
LongTailPro – Perfect for seasoned marketers
Cost: $25 per month
Official Website: LongTailPro.com
Established since 2011, LongTailPro is used and trusted by over 70k users, including successful online marketers like Michael Karp to Tung Tran. LongTailPro is a cloud based software specially tailored for long-tail keyword research (as their name suggest). This is a paid keyword research tool that can help you find low-competitive keywords for your niche sites within seconds.
LongTailPro offers 3 account options Started, Pro and Agency. Especially with their Agency version, where you can get an amazing and detailed keyword analysis feature at a glance.
The best part about LongTailPro is their competition checker, that can help you easily pick out the right keyword to rank for.
LongTailPro’s most notable features include:
- Score Keyword Competitiveness – Use LongTailPro proprietary Keyword Competitiveness score to determine the difficulty of ranking different keywords in the top 10 Google results.
- Custom Difficulty Targets – Add your domain to a project to discover what level of keyword difficulty you should be targeting with each of your sites so you can focus your search.
- Determine Metrics – View metrics (powered by Majestic) to help determine domain strength, page strength, referring domains to page and domain, indexed URLs, number of links and site age.
- Calculate Keyword Profitability – Sort niches by different sets of keywords and track favorites within projects so you can revisit them later.
- Export Results – Export lists of keywords, competition data, top 10 Google results, and keyword metrics data.
- Real-time Filtering – This feature allows you to filter keyword results by local searches, advertiser competition, number of words, keyword competitiveness and more.
- Adwords Data – Input a list of keywords and get data on competition, CPC, local/global monthly searches, and the number of words.
Jaaxy – Best tool for starters
Cost: $19 per month
Official Website: Jaaxy.com
My tool of choice, Jaaxy is a neat low-competitive keyword research tool that also offers various tracking features to help optimize your SEO efforts.
Unlike other tools that offers a whole heap of features, Jaaxy focuses only on one task and does it very well, and that is to help you find keywords that you can rank for. Jaaxy has helped me in various occasions and this what I use on a regular basis.
Jaaxy is especially handy for starters who want to quickly rank for lucrative keywords.
That said, you’ll need to know a couple of things to find these golden gems. I’ve also put together a Jaaxy review and guide, that you can check out.
Or give Jaaxy a try below.
Jaaxy’s most notable features include:
- Keyword Competition – Quickly help you analyse competition for every keywords (with metrics such as Quoted Search Results) to find the best untaped ones to rank for on search engines.
- SEO Analysis – Helps you analyse top results for any keywords.
- Keyword List Manager – Save and track any keywords for later reference.
- Rank Checker – With Jaaxy, you can quickly check your ranking position on Google without the hassle of manually searching and counting in Incognito mode.
SEO Spyglass – A powerhouse for SEO
Cost: $124.75 one time
Official Website: SEO-Spyglass.com
SEO Spyglass is notable for its’ one-time price of only $124.75. A very rare pricing model when other SEO related tools only offers monthly subscriptions, and this basically means that you can save up a lot in the long run.
The best part, though is that SEO Spyglass is quite a powerhouse desktop backlink analysis SEO software compatible on any devices.
While SEO Spyglass doesn’t directly focus on keyword research itself, it can serve as a great competitive analysis tool to help you find out about your competitor’s backlink profiles and how to beat them.
SEO Spyglass is used and trusted by many big brands such as Amazon Webstore, HP, Toshiba and more, SEO Spyglass is a great choice for every online marketers.
SEO Spyglass’ most notable features include:
- Backlink checker – As we all know that backlinks is a major search engine’s ranking factor. SEO Spyglass helps you pull all backlinks to any website or pages instantly.
- Keyword anchor text – In addition, the tool also helps you determine anchor text patterns that links to any sites on the internet.
- PageRank – SEO Spyglass displays the Google PageRank for every inbound link that you can easily sort by to check the quality of links pointing at you or your competitors’ page.
- Traffic sent from each backlink – This is a metric from the Alexa Traffic Rank that estimates the amount of traffic a site receives. The idea is that a backlink from a website with high numbers of visitors is probably directing some of those visitors via the backlink.
- Sort links from blogs and forums – This is a unique feature to SEO Spyglass that allows you to filter for only links from blogs and forums. These links are more easy to reproduce by manually submitting a post or reaching out to the blogger in question.
- Calculate backlink’s value – SEO Spyglass’s software also helps calculate the value of each backlink based upon the link density of the referring page.
SEMRush – Perfect for agencies
Cost: $69.95 per month
Official Website: SEMRush.com
SEMrush is another keyword competition research tool like SEO Spyglass, that focuses on all aspects of search engine marketing from SEO to PPC.
Considering that SEMrush has access to a massive amount of data from both Google and Bing, with over 95 million organic keywords in their database, you can trust in them to deliver all necessary reports and snatch the upper hand from your competitors in terms of ranking.
Give SEMrush a try below.
SEMRush’s most notable features include:
- Analytics reports – This feature allows you to get insights into your competitors’ strategies in display advertising, organic and paid search, and link building.
- Keyword difficulty – This feature allows you to find keywords with less competition and instantly estimate keyword difficulty.
- Position tracking – This feature helps you track any domain or keyword from any location, even better, SEMrush has the ability to target different devices.
- Site audit – This feature allows you to check your site’s health with SEMrush’s quick SEO analysis tool.
- SEO ideas – Is a unique feature that helps you analyze Google ranking factors affecting your website’s performance and get actionable recommendations based on the collected data.
- My reports – This feature allows you to export all of SEMrush’s data in an elegant custom PDF report.
Ahrefs – A powerful backlink analysis tool
Cost: Free with upgrades
Official Website: Ahrefs.com
Ahrefs is a renowned SEO backlink checker and competitor research tools that boasts the largest index of live links on the internet, to provide you with the most valuable SEO data.
The best thing about Ahrefs is their eagerness to stay up-to-date with the ever-changing SEO scene, always updating useful new features such as Backlinks Report, Domain Comparison, Batch Analysis and SEO Report.
Ahrefs’s most notable features include:
- Site explorer – This feature allows you to get an in-depth look at the backlink profile and search traffic of any website or URL.
- Content explorer – This feature discovers the most popular content for any topic (by backlinks, organic traffic and social shares).
- Domain comparison – This feature compares backlink profiles of up to 5 different domains.
- Batch analysis – This rad feature helps you to pull Ahrefs’ SEO metrics for up to 200 URLs.
Majestic – Great for competition research
Cost: $49.99 per month
Official Website: Majestic.com
Majestic is a marketing search engine and SEO backlink checker tool. Boasting their own URL index of over 161 billion crawled URLs, Majestic is also known for their various unique features such as bulk backlink checker, compare tool, clique hunter and more.
Majestic’s most notable features include:
- Site Explorer – This feature lets you explore any domain’s backlink and offers a summary of the website’s backlink profile (number of backlinks, referring domains, .edu backlinks, etc.).
- Keyword Checker – This feature allows you to check keywords or phrases and see how many times it appears, as well as getting the search volume for each keyword.
- Link Profile Fight – This unique feature allows you to visually compare backlink profiles for two different sites.
- Backlink History – Majestic makes it possible for you to check backlink history for trends from you or your competitors sites.
- Bulk Backlink Checker – As the name suggests, this tool allows you to check backlink counts for multiple domains.
- Compare Tool – This feature allows you to compare site authority for up to 5 domains with metrics such as backlink profile, trust flow, indexed URLs.
- Clique Hunter – This feature allows you to find linking trends for up to 10 sites. The idea behind it is that if these sites are linking to so many of your competitors, they are also more likely to link to you.
KWFinder – An all-in-one solution
Cost: $12 per month
Official Website: KWFinder.com
KWFinder is a long tail keyword research tool that allows you to read into the trend, search volume, CPC, and level of difficulty by results.
KWFinder is also for extensive individual keyword research, showing its difficulty level (on a scale of 1 to 100) and the current Google search results.
This feature will analyse what domains are targeting the keyword, the page’s backlinks, social shares, and traffic. These metrics can be exceptionally priceless to content marketers looking to outrank their competitors.
Aside from having a great interface, KWFinder also helps you dig into local keyword research – you can target your search results by city, state or country.
KWFinder is used and trusted by authoritative brands such as Apple. AirBnB, Alexa and more. That is to say, KWFinder is definitively worth a try.
KWFinder’s most notable features include:
- Hundreds of long tail keywords – Find a bunch of long tail keywords related to your niche with high search volumes and low keyword SEO difficulty.
- SEO keyword difficulty – Save your time. Check keyword difficulty instantly so you know which keywords are worth optimisation.
- City level location – Now you can get keyword ideas even more precisely. Select city, state or country to which the results should be targeted.
Keyword Tool – A must for online marketers
Cost: Free with upgrades
Official Website: KeywordTool.io
Also known as KeywordTool.io is a small online keyword research tool that make use of Google Autocomplete data to create its database of long tail keyword suggestions.
This is great starting point for keyword data mining. If you fancy Google Keyword Planner, you’ll love Keyword Tool. Especially since the Google Keyword Planner is primarily designed for advertisers in mind, it’s not as efficient as Keyword Tool in finding the best long-tail combinations.
This tool is free for finding the first 750 keyword suggestions for every keywords. You can sign up for the Pro version to get more data such as search volume, CPC on AdWords, and competition. It also allows you to export your results to CSV.
Another cool feature of Keyword Tool is that it even helps you find long tail keywords for YouTube, Bing, Amazon, and the App Store.
You can use these databases to tap into even more relevant search terms that your search engine competitors might not be aware of.
Google Keyword Planner – A classic
Official Website: AdWords.Google.com/KeywordPlanner
Google Keyword Planner is a classic.
Google Keyword Planner is part of Adwords, designed for advertising purpose, but you can still use it as a powerful to research organic keywords.
With tools and metrics like average monthly searches, competition and average CPC from Google themselves, you can rest assured on their accuracy. If you plan on doing a SEO and PPC campaign, Google Keyword Planner can help you determine which keywords are better to target organically or with advertising.
You can also use Google Keyword Planner’s as a way to find long tail keywords with their keyword suggestion feature.
The only downside is that, because this tool is so popular among marketers, you’ll have a harder time to find untapped keyword.
Soovle – Perfect for brainstorming
Official Website: Soovle.com
Soovle is a unique tool that allows you to explore the most typed in keywords on multiple search engines based on the keyword root you give it. It even includes Amazon and eBay.
If you found yourself stuck with a couple of same old keywords, Soovle is your solution to find all sorts of synonyms that may end up being your golden keyword.
Not only is it a great keyword research tool to use, but it’s also a great brainstormer as you can slowly start typing in your ideas and allow it to auto-generate its own ideas.
A throughout keyword research campaign can literally predict your chance of success when it comes to SEO. If you aim for a high competitive keyword, you won’t be able to rank, then again, if you rank for a low competitive keyword with no traffic or intention… well, what’s the point?
Keyword research is an art of discovery so my advice is to play around with different tools and even raking forums and blogs for commonly use terms of phrase.
Over to you.
These are my top keyword research tools, what other tools do you recommend? And what are the best ways to leverage from them?
Ready to start an online business? Check out my recommended resources.