How my New Blog Attracts 526 Comments
Last update February 28th, 2016
Anyone with minimum computer skills can own a blog.
But the real question is among 173MM blogs worldwide, how is your blog gonna get noticed, and why would people bother leaving a comment?
If you a blogger, you will know that getting 5 comments is already hard. Even big blogs like ProBlogger and The Smarth Passive Income struggle with constant user interactions. And they have thousands of visitors per month.
In this post I will share with you how my blog, that’s only three month old, already has 526 comments (263 unique comments because half of them are my replies).
With this method you can get as much quality comments as you want if you put in the time and efforts. Here are a few comments I receive daily.
Let’s dive in!
The benefits of comments
Aside from cheering you up, comments can do much more for your blog.
- Increase interaction. People are more likely and more comfortable commenting on spaces where others are already interacting as opposed to an empty corridor, it’s a kind of social proof.
- Prove your presence and expertise. By having comments and answering them, you will have a better image in the eyes of your new visitors.
- Set good commenting standards for your blog. When someone plans to comment on your blog and see what kind of feedbacks you are getting, they will tend to emulate it. So by setting a good standard for your blog you will be more than likely get better comments later from organic visitors.
- Helps you rank on Google in the long run. Having interactive conversations on your site will increase Google’s trust and help you rank on them.
In fact, QuickSprout claimed that 16% of their search traffic came from comments.
Before we start
There are a couple of things you need to know.
- This method is fore serious bloggers because it requires investment in Wealthy Affiliate – an educational program about online businesses (read my review). The price is $47/month or $359/year. But you can still try for free for 7 days!
- This method doesn’t help you build traffic. You will have real people come to your page and give comments but that is pretty much it, they may not be part of your target audience.
- This method requires some time and efforts. You can get as much comments as you want but you will have to make some efforts, because this is a commenting exchange platform where you will offer comments to other in order to request them on your site.
- Your website needs to be hosted on SiteRubix. SiteRubix is basically a host for WordPress, the best content management system (CMS) on the internet. You can also import your site to SiteRubix as well (more about that later).
How my new blog attracted 148 comments
This method is much simpler when exposed, I am sure anyone can follow.
Step 1. Sign up to Wealthy Affiliate
As mentioned above, this is a program that’s built by Wealthy Affiliate so in order to join, you’ve gotta have an account.
Wealthy Affiliate does have a free membership plan but it will not allow you to give and receive comments, that’s why this method needs investment. You don’t need to pay for the first 7 days to use the premium features, so make the most out of that offer. It’s also a good chance to try and see if Wealthy Affiliate and blogging in general is for you.
P.S. Take some time to complete your profile with a picture and short description, this will help you look better in the eyes of other members, and will prompt them to take you more seriously and give you better comments.
Step 2. Build your blog
If you are confident you can build a blog on your own, click here to write your first blog post or here to attract comments. I still recommend you to come back here later because I will be giving some pretty useful resources.
You already have a blog and consider importing to SiteRubix to use Wealthy Affiliate? Click here.
Now it’s time to build your blog with Wealthy Affiliate’s site manager, SiteRubix, which is the same as a WordPress site. You will be managing your site from your own domain… which I like.
Wealthy Affiliate is a good program that teaches you how to start a business online. My advice is to click on the Get Started Here button on the top right and follow Kyle’s step-by-step instructions to build a blog. There are also videos, for those interested… (but I am pretty sure most of you computer geniuses don’t need that, ha ha.)
Here are some extra tips and tricks to building a blog on WordPress (that is not taught at Wealthy Affiliate) that I want to share with you, to make your blogging life easier and more rewarding.
- Find stock images and icons. Here is a very big list of free stock websites 74 Best Sites To Find Awesome Free Images.
For icons, go to FlatIcon (a lot of basic black icons) or IconFinder (colorful icons). Remember to check creative commons and give credits when asked.
- Have a personal site icon, you’ll look very unprofessional without one. Go pick it at FlatIcon or IconFinder.
- Edit images when you are not a designer. Use online image editors like Pablo (simple to put words on images) or Canva (more advanced).
- Follow influencers’ blog to improve your knowledge and jot down statistic numbers. For starters, check these Top 5 Personal Internet Business Blogs. Then use Feedly to be updated of new posts and check them daily.
- Beware of what you delete and back up before any major changes. Think twice before you delete something, and remember to backup before changing your theme or updating WordPress. I use the UpdraftPlus plugin to back up my files.
Then you’ll see a panel that allows you to choose where to import your site from (i.e. Blogger, WordPress, Tumblr etc.)
If you have any more questions, don’t hesitate to message me. I can be reached through the comments or at email@example.com.
Step 3. Write your post
Next you need to create at least one post in order to attract comments to.
This is also taught on Wealthy Affiliate. Now I really like Wealthy Affiliate, it has a great community and driven courses but I think Kyle doesn’t talk much about how to write a good post. I feel like he’s more inclined to let you explore writing on your own.
Here I want to give you some extra tips and resources to improve your posts.
- Know what to write about. In order to write a great contents, that attracts viewers and social shares, you need to know what they want. Check out this an insightful podcast How Do You Know What Content To Create? by Fizzle and Brian Dean’s Skyscraper technique.
- How to write a blog post. Writting content isn’t hard, writting good content is. Read How to Write a Blog Post by HupSpot and remember to download their blog templates. I use their how to template to structure parts of this post… it makes life easier.
- Use relevant statistics, having some numbers makes your claim more believable and professional. But don’t overuse this. Google is your friend, search for “topic + statistics”. I also compiled a bunch of infographics on my Pinterest.
Step 4. Offer comments
Why would you comment on other’s blog, you ask. Wealthy Affiliate offers a little platform they call the SiteComments where you can basically give and take comments from others. And that is basically all this method is about. You will be able to request 1 comment to your page for each 2 comments you give, pretty simple, isn’t it?
After you’ve created your first post, now is the time to get some comments! Simply hover over the SiteRubix button then click on SiteComments.
You will be offered a tour, go through it and carefully read through this section about commenting best practices, you want to provide good comments to receive great ones.
You can request 1 comment for each 2 credits, which means giving 2 comments to request one. Since you don’t have any credits yet, click on Offer Comments.
Nice, you have 1 credit now, time to earn another.
When commenting, you also want to create connections. Maybe they are not as interested in your topic, but remember they are commenters like you too so if you give them nice comments, they will be more likely to give back to you.
Step 5. Request comments
Congratulations, give yourself a pat on the back for going through all the steps. Now it’s time for you to receive your comments.
It usually takes about 30 minutes before you will receive an email that goes like this “New Comment for perkprofit.com is Pending Approval at WA!”, go check your comments.
Now it’s time to hit that Approve and Reply button to answer your comments and show that you are an active blogger.
And we’re done! I hope this gave you good insights on one of the ways you can do to improve your site quality and image.
This is not a method that’s automated so you will have to commit your time and effort in order to grow your website comments. The good thing about Wealthy Affiliate SiteComment feature is that it tends to over deliver a lot. Take a look.
To make the most about these comment exchanges is to request 1 comment daily and offer 2 comments. Go at your own pace and don’t force yourself, be friendly and open. Take your time to help others and they will be much more likely to give you a hand.
I think this method is great to give you a head start and help you develop your blog more quickly, but remember that you still to build your own audience, ranking and SEO to really become and authoritative and profitable website. Consider this a easy stepping stone on your path, don’ rely on this method as your only source of traffic in the long run.
So that’s it for today! If you need any more help on anything, do not hesitate to buzz me. I can be found on PerkProfit through the comments, through my email firstname.lastname@example.org or even my profile at Wealthy Affiliate. I am online everyday… you’re right, I am kind of nerdy. Ha ha.
Your experience in getting comments?
If you are running a blog, do you have any struggles getting your audience to comment? What method have you found to attract more comments?
Let me know in the comment section below.