How to Buy From Fiverr [The Ultimate Guide]
What can you do with 5 bucks?
For one, either treat yourself to Starbucks or grow your business with Fiverr, the ever growing marketplace for creative professionals, unique for its’ tiny price – starting only at $5.
And with that, there are bound to be hundreds of gigs that are useful to your business, ranging from logo design, WordPress fix, video introductions, infographics and more.
If you are a new Fiverr user looking to learn the ropes on how to buy a gig and get exactly what you want, then this post is for you.
Based on my researches and experience, below is the ultimate guide on how to buy from Fiverr.
The best part is that this process is extremely easy to learn. In fact, you only need to follow 4 simple steps
- Find the best offer
- Place your order
- Ask for revisions
- Complete order
Are you ready?
Step 1. Find the best offer
To start — go to Fiverr (this link opens in a new window so you can reference the guide as you work).
If you didn’t have an account yet, click on the Join button on the top right corner. Now you will see a sign up form.
You can either
Enter your email and account information to sign up,
Or sign in with your social media accounts in one click.
I recommend to sign in with Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn as it saves more time and keeps all your credentials in one place.
Simply click on one of the social media buttons you are most comfortable with, then click the Allow button so Fiverr can access your basic informations such as name and email address.
Once you’re done, you will be redirected to Fiverr’s home page to start making your first purchase.
Depending on what your need, choose a category from the top menu (whether it’s Graphic & Design. Digital marketing or Writing & Transition).
Or you can simply type in the search box the exact project you are looking for. For example, I’ll type in “flat logo design”. Then hit enter.
Now you’ll see hundreds of gigs or shops to make flat logo designs.
Alright, these tiny samples all look pretty great, but you only need one so let’s find that best gig.
It may seem overwhelming at first but the truth is you don’t need superpowers to do that. Like any good online marketplaces, Fiverr has filter options in place on the left hand side.
Scroll down until you see the Seller Level category. Then check both the Level Two and Top Rated Seller options.
Level Two sellers and up are those who had at least completed 50 individual orders within two months while maintaning a 4.5 star rating or above, which basically means these folks are more experienced and trustworthy.
After you’ve filtered the gigs, go over them and open in a new tab those you are interested in. Here are some other tips to finding the perfect gig on Fiverr:
- Go over at least 10 gigs. When you first started, you may be tempted to go with the first shiny thing. But chances are that you will not find the best seller on your first try. If you want great work done, don’t rush. Shop around and add the best gigs to your favorite list (on the top right corner of the screen) then take a second look at them all, their testimonials and seller level to decide the best option for you.
- Read through the full description. It goes without saying that you’d want to know what exactly your seller is offering (for example, are you allowed to ask for revisions?) as well as their previous works, to avoid later confusions.
- If it looks too good to be true, it’s fake. Some sly sellers may use others’ works to endorse their portfolio. Make sure to buy from those who has at least 5 real samples (the samples that has a buyer’s comment underneath).
- Look at the the Estimated time of Delivery. If you want your work done fast, you’d want to make sure the estimate time of delivery is reasonable or you may be stuck with a project on hold for a while.
- Always contact the seller first, always. There is a contact button on the seller’s profile on the right hand side of every gig. By contacting them, you’ll be able to find out if they are a good fit for you. And if you are looking for a more customized project from them, they can also give you person a custom order.
Follow these tips and soon enough, you’ll be a pro at spotting the greatest Fiverr gigs. And as Ramsay Taplin puts it:
Step 2. Place your order
After you’ve found that perfect offer and have contacted the seller to make sure they are comfortable with your project, choose your package offer on the right hand side of the gig.
Then click the green Select & Customize.
On the next page, choose any order upgrade you need (I would usually skip most of these), then click the Pay now button.
Now choose your method of payment between PayPal (the fastest way), Visa or Bitcoin.
After you’ve completed your purchase, you’ll be directed to the pending order page.
This means you’ve successfully ordered your first Fiverr gig! Your payment is now held by Fiverr and is only released to the seller 14 days after the order is completed.
Now you will be prompted to fill in your order requirements before your seller can finally work on it.
Be as specific as possible, give them all references they need. Even if you want a creative work done, I still recommend you give the the detailed informations to avoid being disappointed in their personal take.
After you’ve sent them your awesome requirements, what’s left is to let them do the job and get back you.
Usually the seller will complete the job right on their Estimated time of Delivery and Fiverr will email you once there are any news on your order.
In the mean time, to check your order statuses, hover over your name in the top right corner.
Click My Orders, then Orders. This allows you check the statuses of your current orders at a glance.
Step 3. Ask for revisions
Note that you need to check before hand whether or not the seller offers free revision or are there any additional costs.
You’ll receive an email once your order is completed.
Click on the green Review your order in your email. You’ll be taken to your order page with the seller’s finished project.
Now you have two choices
If you are satisfied with their work, then click here,
Or you need a revision, then click on the Request Modification button.
Here are some tips to go about asking for modifications
- Be specific. Which part of the design do you want to fix, what color hex do you want. The more precise you are, the more your seller would be able to deliver. I also like to give them a mockup via Photoshop or a sketch so they’d know exactly what I’m looking for.
- Be nice and courteous. Sellers are also people and if you are nice to them, they are much more likely to do a better work for you.
If the seller under delivers and you are not satisfied with the work done, you are entitled to ask for a refund.
First, make sure that you’ve given your seller a chance to figure out ways to avoid this. If all fails, click on the Resolution Center button on top of your order page, then click Request a Mutual Cancellation.
Remember though, that you need the seller’s consent to ask for a mutual cancellation.
The only time I did this was with a very nice seller who stated in their gig that has a *Money back guarantee” claim on their gig.
Step 4. Complete order
Now that you’re satisfied with your order, click the green Complete Order option.
You will be prompted to rate, leave a public comment and/ or tip the seller. I highly recommend rating and commenting, not only does it help you create a better relationship with your seller for future projects but help other buyers as well.
And you’re done!
Now let’s use that awesome project to enhance your business. This certainly worth more than your Starbucks, isn’t it? 😉
Once you know what to look for and how, you can get a lot more done on Fiverr for 10 times less the price elsewhere.
With the right tools, you can really take your business to the next level. Give it a try and get something done today.
Feel free to drop a comment if you have any questions about Fiverr, I’ll try my best to answer!
Ready to start an online business? Check out my recommended resources.